Requisition ID: req39714
Job Title: M&E Officer – Governance
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Background/IRC Summary: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, supporting victims of natural disaster, oppression, and violent conflict in over 40 countries to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe States. The IRC’s response includes integrated health and nutrition services, reproductive health care and women protection services, Environmental Health, Child Protection, Economic Recovery and Development, Education, General Protection, and Governance. IRC’s programming in Northeast Nigeria is supported by a team of more than 700 staff. Together, we aim to provide the best possible impact for some of the most vulnerable children, women, and men. In all that we do, IRC strives to deliver through IRC’s core values of Integrity, Accountability, Service and Equality.
The purpose of the M&E Officer position is to coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation, and analysis of data to track programs/ projects activities, monitor progress and support impact measurement. S/he will also conduct research, or coordinate with consultants conducting research, to engage in reflective practice and generate lessons from projects/program. S/he is responsible for establishing and ensuring better data management systems, including preparing an M&E plan for the sector, and coordinates the proper and timely evaluation of project objectives/impact. S/he will ensure the existence of accountability mechanisms and devise a strategy for program staff participation in M&E activities. The position holder will closely work with front line staff and volunteers. S/he also will work closely with the M&E unit on technical matters and reports to the Governance Advocacy Manager.
Program Design and Learning
- Participate in program/ project design specially in developing log frames.
- Design, develop and continuously update project M&E, and impact measurement tools and systems on timely fashion.
- Develop and make sure all the projects have tested monitoring tools that capture both program activity and indicators progress.
- Organize periodical ongoing sector level review, reflective practice, evaluation, and progress monitoring events by involving communities and local partners.
- Organize panel monitoring and/or similar M&E events to ensure accountability to the target community, with relevant stakeholders including communities and ensure their dissemination to concerned parties.
- With support from the Sr. M&E Manager and Governance Advocacy Manager, establish and maintain project level information management system.
- Design a strategy to collect filed level information required by IRC, donors and/or stakeholders.
- Coordinate synergy and cross-learning among different projects.
- Cross fertilize learning among projects by regularly producing (compiling) summary monitoring reports and sharing to staff and partners.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Track progress against monitoring work plans.
- Coordinate the field level community participatory monitoring and evaluation, reflective practice, and impact measurement.
- Ensues the on-time execution of projects major monitoring and evaluation events including but not limited to baseline survey, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation, data quality audit and field supervision.
- Coordinate with consultants conducting project evaluations to monitor for high quality and high impact results.
- Provide technical assistance to staff and partner organization on information management system, proper data collection and record keeping, including on beneficiary registration.
- Update M&E plan timely and provide feedback to program staff on status and quality of implementation.
- Assist with monthly and/or quarterly performance indicator analysis, including generation of reports as well as presentations for staff related to on-going performance.
- Conduct regular data verification exercises to ensure reporting and collection of quality data.
- Verify entered data for completeness, correctness, and consistency and follow up on any data quality issues.
- Document findings from data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access.
- Actively participate in and contribute to M&E team activities, system assessments, development, and implementation of new systems and/or tools aimed at strengthening overall M&E practices at IRC Nigeria.
- Take part in the recruitment of enumerators and survey consultants.
- Provide M&E inputs for reports written during project implementation.
- Periodically leads reflective practice forums at field office/ project level and compile lessons from project implementation processes.
Information Management and Reporting
- Establish and maintain project information management system.
- Submit data set to update country office wide program database on monthly basis.
- Compile regular project monitoring report, including lessons learned, prepared by different projects and application of evaluation recommendations.
- Ensure all projects have downward/ forward accountability mechanisms and works with project staff to make sure its implementation.
- Compile quarter, biannual and annual tabular and narrative reports (as required by project stakeholders) on projects’ accomplishments by cost and alert the management for special deviations form the plan.
And all other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Governance Advocacy Manager, based in Maiduguri.
Position directly supervises n/a
Indirect Reporting: M&E Manager and Governance Coordinator, based in Maiduguri
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: M&E Staff, Governance Officers/Assistants
External: Service provider, Traditional and Community Leaders, Local Government Authorities, Government Ministries/Agencies, Community Volunteers
- Experience working on urban resilience and developmental programming, and at least two-year experience working in monitoring and evaluation.
- Degree in statistics, computer science/IT/, geography, or any other related field.
- Excellent computer skills are required (particularly Advanced Microsoft Excel, Access, and Word).
- Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required.
- Ability to work independently, think analytically and take initiative in solving problems.
- Ability to communicate technical issues effectively.
- Familiarity with log frame analysis and M&E plan.
- Experience in conducting assessment.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, Hausa is required and Kanuri is a plus.
- Most importantly, commitment to IRC values and principles.
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with groups of diverse backgrounds.
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
QUALIFIED FEMALES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!!
Working Environment: The IRC is a team-work environment and requires a person who will work with colleagues from many cultural backgrounds, understand and contribute to the organization’s goals, work well as a member of a group/team, and respect the thoughts and opinions of others in the team. The security situation in Northeast Nigeria continues to be volatile with security level currently at 3 (orange), though subject to change
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Click here to apply